Friday, May 4, 2012

pet gripes

I am working on getting less stressed about my personal preferences and character qualities that I rate highly.  One is doing what you say you are going to do.  If I make a commitment, I feel ill at the thought of not sticking to it.  Integrity is another one closely linked, transparency, honesty and dependability.  You would think these are no brainers but alas.....sadly lacking in today's selfish culture.


The one thing I have found annoys me to distraction is being late.  When I was newly married, I remember being shocked that my new husband thought nothing of being continually late for everything.  I couldn't believe it.  Should have been a warning sign I guess.


Being punctual not only refers to being on time for work or for meetings or appointments whilst at work, but also being ready and prepared on arrival. It involves a degree of commitment to the job role, organisation and time management, travel planning, and an awareness or understanding of the importance of being on time and behaving responsibly or professionally whilst at work or respectfully when an agreement is in place with another. 



For me, to make a habit of being late shows enormous disrespect and disregard for other people and is the ultimate selfishness.  For me it screams the message, I am way more important than you and your schedule and will do just as I like.  I know, anal as I am, this is something of high value in my book.


The occasional tardy arrival is fine, I mean, three kids later, I understand that sometimes the unavoidable happens.  It took me a while, but I am learning to forgive myself when the schedule gets messed up.
So my question......... is my passion for punctuality a character quality or a flaw?   A test in patience and flexibility or a prophetic message for the masses of Gen Y & Z.

No comments:

Post a Comment