Friday, May 18, 2012

giving counter culturally

I have been meditating on a couple of passages this morning and it's gotten me thinking and analysing and  has also deeply encouraged me that maybe I am still moving and growing and my heart has not grown cold after all.

The first is in acts chapter two, just after they had received the holy spirit at pentecost.

 All the believers were together and had everything in common.  They sold property and possessions to give to anyone who had need.  Every day they continued to meet together in the temple courts. They broke bread in their homes and ate together with glad and sincere hearts,  praising God and enjoying the favor of all the people. And the Lord added to their number daily those who were being saved.

I remember a few years ago that I had the opportunity to stay for a week or so at a beautiful holiday home at no charge.....it was a gift.  It was right on the beach and each day the changing tide would change the landscape as we were also right on the edge of an inlet where a stream would wander inland.

As I walked into this place, I immediately experienced the tangible peace and presence of God and felt as though many layers of daily stresses were lifted.  In a little old frame were written the words from these verses from Acts.

This house was entirely reserved as a retreat and place of rest for those who had need of  a holiday and in need of deep rest.  Word of mouth is how people discover it and gentle intervention from the holy spirit of course.  The owners had decided they had enough and wanted to freely give.  What a wonderful reflection of this passage in action.

I too am a big fan of giving.  If there is need and I can meet it, I am keen to do it because it feels so damn good.  Now, I hope this is not because it strokes my self righteous ego and is just because it's a blessing and privilege that the opportunity is there.

Having recently been on the receiving end of many, many gifts and blessings, I can understand more deeply the need to receive just as willingly.  Imagine robbing all those "giving" opportunities which really bless the giver rather than the recipient?

I remember hearing a preacher speak about how each year on Maundy Thursday that they hold a feet washing service in remembrance of Jesus washing his friends feet.

He said there is never a shortage of people willing to be the washers.  The trouble was getting people in a vulnerable position of being able to receive this act of love and service.  Damn pride and self preservation.

I think that our society and this world has such a selfish element but in other ways shut up, closed off and locked away our selves from being in a weaker position.  After all there is a big risk when you put yourself there.

Again, I turn to the scriptures and am reminded in 1 Corinthians that Love never gives up, never loses faith, and is always hopeful.

For me personally, this is a reminder to not buy into the world's ways of taking care of our community of believers and wider world but to turn to heaven's standard.  Give freely with a hopeful loving heart.

Give even if it's a risk.  The way I figure, God will make up the difference if it doesn't make sense in our sensible and practical logical minds.

After all Jesus was a radical and unconventional giver.  What an inspiration and reflection of God's heart he is.  So I continue on allowing myself gradually to become open to the blessings God has in store for me.


No comments:

Post a Comment