Tuesday, April 10, 2012

neighbours

I am truly blessed when it comes to neighbours.  Two of the sweetest, funnest, loveliest, kindest of friends also happen to live directly across the road.  We have shared laughs, tears, fun times and hard times.  I am pretty sure that this is a rare thing and not something I take for granted.

A few months ago, the place beside me went up for sale and I was hopeful that we might get a lovely family move in and renovate the classic californian bungalow to a modern classic home.  The sold sign went up within a couple of weeks and we have waited to see who might take residence in the cheerful and tight knit neighbourhood.
We have had a random and quirky collection of transient students in and out of the place.  One guy who without fail wouldn't be able to start his car each morning without at least one kick to the side of the motor.  He was also keen on make believe ninja/ fighting with a stick with his imaginary friend in the back yard.

There was also Patrick who is one of the most patriotic people I know.  Drove a commodore, aussie flag car seat covers, army pants, singlet tops to show off and flex his gym muscles.....he was the classic australian bloke personified.  Helpful and neighbourly by introducing himself at midnight one night by bashing on the front door to let me know my interior car light was on.  He was pleased as punch, I was terrified out of my wits!

Enter Harry.  My new neighbour who has bought the property as an investment to rent out to students.  A little disappointed not to have a wonderful new family but kinda ok with that..... as was it's former purpose.

Our introduction went something like this.

Harry (in thick greek accent)  I'm Harry

Rachel Hello Harry, I'm rachel, are you my new neighbour?

Harry You got a husband?

Rachel  (awkward pause) No, he left.

Harry  Has the man got rocks in his head?  Gorgeous woman like you?

Rachel (not sure whether to call the police or be flattered)  Yep, who'd believe it.

Harry  You got a fridge?

Rachel ummm yes.

Harry   Well if I bring a six pack over and you keep it cold, I'll come over and share it with you when I finish working on the house.

Rachel  Well Harry, very kind offer but probably not a great idea.

Harry is probably in his sixties, overweight, likely married and pretty hard to look at when he takes his shirt off while working in the front yard which is directly below our deck.

Today he is hard at work with his Aussie Flag bucket hat on.  What a character!

No comments:

Post a Comment