Sunday, August 9, 2009

Winter


I love old buildings, furniture, quilts, objects and anything that tells a story and has some mystery and questions surrounding it. The evidence of being used by another in a past time, the ordinary practicality or the detailed care and attention in it's making. I also have a romantic appreciation of things from the past. I imagine the sense of purpose must be great in constructing the first buildings to grace a place. The sense of pride and satisfaction of a woman completing a warm and comforting quilt for her children. The large and grand proportions of an old building which say, "see we have made our mark". The beautiful colours that have worn over time on the roof and bricks of an outbuilding. The artistic combination of textures in an old home, brick, stone, timber. Strangely these things all seem to remind me of a sense of hope and future and of expectancy. The association between winter and old things is particulary lovely when captured in the beautiful light of a cold, overcast day. The confirmation of the season shown by the lack of leaves on the trees. I have resigned myself to the fact that I am very moved by the appearance and the visual elements of my life. Creating an environment of rest and beauty and inspiration is possibly one of my most defining pursuits. The challenge is to find the balance between contentment and satisfaction of where that has me placed today and not sacrificing the dreams I have for tomorrow................

2 comments:

  1. That's beautifully expressed, Rachel. I love the fact that you appreciate not only the beauty of a thing in itself but also the story behind its creation and the labour of love that went into it. I think your creativity and your delight in creating an environment of beauty and rest is a gift - it reminds me of God looking over his work of Creation with deep satisfaction and declaring that it was good, very good.

    Beth

    ReplyDelete
  2. Grabbing a quick moment to look beyond the office, on a busy day at work... your expressions perfectly remind me of the need to refocus constantly on the beauty to be found in the everyday, especially midweek in winter.
    Loving your words, very encouraging. Vanessa

    ReplyDelete