Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Patience

I am waiting it seems on so many things.

A baby to arrive, school holidays to start, family to arrive, my dream home, my dream job, twelve hours sleep at the one time, dinner served at a leisurely, civilised pace with cloth napkins and matching plates and polished cutlery, a spotless kitchen and no papers all over the table or toys under the chairs. The children are smiling, my hair and makeup look fabulous and Jon and I engage in lively, cheerful, intelligent conversation (i am just daydreaming, we are all usually just two steps from falling asleep while trying to convince Felix not to throw all his tea on the floor or in his hair, nose, eyes or anywhere else whilst trying to remember if the dog has been fed today).

I know that once these things arrive there will be a list of many more to follow. The list just continues and re-invents itself depending on my current want. Is there another option? We have so many things to be content with now but culture and society urge us on to higher and greater and larger states of wanting, impatience and discontent. We are as a society always waiting and wanting yet no happier than before.

Pause..................

What if i stopped in reflection, counted my blessings, said a prayer of thanks, decided that contentment was a journey worth choosing and pursued that as the most important thing on my list. It is my desire to accept how things are, hope for all that might become, apprecitate all that has been and keep a grateful state of mind for all that I have learned in the waiting.

2 comments:

  1. Well put, Rachel. The relaxed and organised dream sounds lovely (and may happen someday!) but I think if we spend too much time wishing for the future we easily miss what we have now. I am trying to remind myself of this when I feel impatient with Lily - she won't always be this keen to see me, this attached to me, won't be breastfeeding for much longer, doesn't care if the house is tidy or not (I really do!) etc. I am amazed that Paul could learn to 'be content whatever the circumstances' but presume that means there's hope for the rest of us as we rely on the same God he did.
    Beth

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, Beth, I think contentment is the greatest pursuit we can strive for in this crazy world. I love that it is ok for the circumstances of life to be less than ideal or really challenging but we can still see rely confidently on God's overall control as our compass. I am so inspired by contentment in a person in the middle of chaos....that's where I see God....does that even make sense?

    ReplyDelete