Thursday, August 27, 2009

Special Memories

Next month my grandfather turns 80 years old which I almost don't believe. He is one of the greatest men I know for many reasons and I can't help but reflect on memories and experiences that have included "Grandy". I am the oldest of his seven grandchildren and first called him by "Grandy" as was my limited ability when beginning to talk. Everyone in our family knows him by this name as well as my friends and extended family from other sides. Whenever I see my Grandy, he makes me feel like I was the person he most wanted to see that day. Grandy has a manner that is a blend of gentleness and kindness and humor that is always reassuring to be around. He is tanned with the trademark white sock lines of a man from the land. He works hard and is generous with his time even at this age. He mows lawns for the "old" people....and young for that matter! He paints houses for people who can't themselves. He helps wherever there is a need. A self made man who built a farm and family from humble beginnings. The farm and all that belongs with it is a place I treasure when visiting and hold dear in my heart when thinking about. I remember with great affection the times I have spent at the farm and of staying there for school holidays. We were never in the way and he made everything into a game or fun. He always stopped what he was doing and had time for me or I tagged along. I can't help but shed a tear of happiness and thankfulness when I think about the security, consistency, love and care that this dear man has gifted me with. He is the one person who I always knew (because he told me and still tells me) that he loves me very much. He saw the best in me even at my worst. I treasure most his kindness, gentle and encouraging words and his generous love and care of me. He has put his family above all else and that is a legacy for us to continue. My hope is that I can remember and in turn pass on the legacy that this man has begun in our family to my children and grandchildren. I regret not being able to celebrate with him at his party but with a baby due any day that is just part of the sacrifice of living so far away. Happy Birthday Grandy...xxoo

No comments:

Post a Comment