Wednesday, December 22, 2010

the meaning of christmas

Notice the crown, nice touch don't you think?


I went out to the shops tonight and was disappointed and it wasn't  because Santa and the elves had gone home for the night.

I feel grieved that during the daytime, the lineup to see Santa stretches a long, long way. Much longer than the line up to the local church to celebrate the birth of Christ.

I feel annoyed that a large number of the population feel put out that the "religious" folk insist on church stuff at this "family" and "vacation" time of year.

I do however feel enormous hope when I reflect on the incredibly controversial way the King of the Universe showed up on planet earth.  Helpless, dependent, physically inferior.  A disappointment no doubt for the watchers waiting for a powerful King to show up and save them. 

 It means that maybe he can somehow work with me, helpless, dependent on myself too much and physically limited by my weary body.  It's comfort takes more preference than the good of my soul more often than not.

I just love that about God.  He does unexpected things, is radical and politically incorrect.  He is counter cultural and tends to get people offside.  He is master and who are we to suppose that he take second place to a fat guy in a suit?

Most of all he understands our human failings and gives us this amazing gift of Hope.

That is what I will be thinking on these next few days.  The beautiful hope of Christ.

No comments:

Post a Comment